Subject: Re: LW:TNG
From: [email-masked] (Kevin Bjorke)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 94 10:29 PDT

> 
> >        A friend suggested that it would be cool if lightwave had an
> >"anti-aliasing" envelope. Being that objects are always moving close and
> >far away in scenes, obviously the envelope would give selectable values to
> >animations... 
> 
> I'm not sure I understand the point of this.  Antialiasing is just as
> necessary on distant objects as close ones (sometimes even more so,
> due to polygons dropping to subpixel sizes).
> 
> - Allen Hastings
> 

Perhaps what they meant was a level-of-detail threshhold -- fancy model
when large in the screen, and a simpler model (automatically swappped-in
by the renderer) when the size is small.

Also, if the rendering makes use of fog, the overall contrast will keep
dropping as the distance from the camera inceases, making antialiasing
subjectively less important on background objects.

Just a thought.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
  Kevin Bjorke         |  If you draw a picture, and then draw more and
  Animation Scientist  |  more pictures, and put them on TV, then dino-
  Hi Tech Toons        |  saurs will turn into birds! - Rebecca